Earth Sciences: Geo-ecological Dynamics (track)
In the track Geo-ecological Dynamics you will deepen your understanding of the different processes that play an important role in the functioning of geo-ecological systems that are strongly affected by global change. At scales varying from the molecule to the globe, you will study the dynamics of landscapes and geo-ecosystems of terrestrial environments and adjacent aquatic systems based on fieldwork, in the laboratory, with computational methods, or a combination of these.
Why specialise in Geo-ecological Dynamics?
Complex geo-ecosystems comprised of landscape, soil, water and biological systems are severely affected by global change and human interaction. Detailed knowledge of geo-ecosystem processes is crucial for understanding our past, current and future environments. This means incorporating spatial and process studies of the dynamics and properties of landscapes, land use (change), land degradation and desertification, pollution, biogeochemical cycles and eutrophication (e.g. carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus), and climate.
In this Master’s track you will learn to apply state-of-the-art methods (including advanced fieldwork, lab methods and geo-computation) to answer the prominent environmental questions we are faced with.
Is Geo-Ecological Dynamics the track for me?
Geo-Ecological Dynamics integrates knowledge from disciplines such as earth sciences and physical geography, including soil science, geomorphology, paleo- and landscape ecology, environmental chemistry, hydrology and climatology.
Are you interested in:
- Learning about complex systems of landscapes and detailed environmental processes?
- Doing research?
- Increasing your knowledge for the advancement of science or application in society?
- Solving complex environmental issues?
- Studying in a personal and inspiring environment?
Then Geo-ecological Dynamics might be the study for you!
What does Geo-ecological Dynamics offer me?
- The programme offers a unique and inspiring programme with lots of opportunities to make your own choices and customise the content to your own interests.
- Geo-ecological Dynamics is taught by a team of inspired and enthusiastic lecturers, specialised in a range of topics relevant to the programme.
- During your Master’s research project you will join a research group, making an actual contribution to scientific advancement as a member of the group. You will work closely together with top researchers in the field, which gives you a head start in developing your professional network.
- During your studies you will get acquainted with the latest methodologies and you will have access to state-of-the-art infrastructure, including cutting edge laboratory facilities.
- MSc Earth Sciences
- Regulier onderwijs
- 120 EC, 24 maanden
- Februari, september