In the Bachelor’s in European Studies you study contemporary Europe in all of its historical and cultural diversity. The programme provides you with the knowledge and skills necessary to engage Europe’s complex present and future.
Europe: The bigger picture
Europe is a continent with a long and turbulent history of cultural, political and economic exchange. The Bachelor’s in European Studies provides you with an overview of the politics, economics and law of the European Union (EU), while also introducing you to Europe’s history, literature and culture.
Taught in English, the programme offers a broad perspective crucial to making sense of the challenges facing Europe today. It equips you with the knowledge and skills to address contemporary European issues such as the Eurozone crisis, the challenges of multicultural societies, and the role of the EU in, for instance, its relations with post-socialist states.
Is European Studies right for you?
European Studies is the ideal programme for you if:
- You are interested in the history, culture, politics, economics and law of contemporary Europe.
- You would like to pursue a career at a European institution, your national government, international (non) governmental organisations or in international business.
- You want to learn and be able to communicate in a new European language.
Why study European Studies at the UvA?
European Studies at the University of Amsterdam offers you:
- A world-class education: the UvA is ranked 1st in the Netherlands and 59th overall in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018.
- Amsterdam is a European cultural hub with a vibrant, creative and diverse international community.
- You will study the politics, law, and economics of the European Union, and the historical, cultural and literary roots of today’s Europe.
- A choice of five focused majors: Specialise in European Literature and Culture, European History, East European Studies, European Law, or European Economics.
- The chance to master a foreign language: You can choose one of sixteen European languages.
- After completing your Bachelor's, you can apply to one of the UvA's many Master's programmes.
European Studies is an accredited degree programme. After completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Bachelor's degree and the title Bachelor of Arts (BA).
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our brochure and join us at one of our Bachelor's open days.
- BA European Studies
- 180 EC, 36 maanden