Student-assistant ERC Consolidator project Rural Imaginations
Faculty of Humanities – Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis
- 6 november 2018
- €1,997 to €2,329 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week
- 25 november 2018
- 7,6 hours per week
For the ERC Consolidator project RURALIMAGINATIONS (2018-2023), the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis and the Department of Literary Studies and Linguistics are looking for a student-assistant. Responsibilities will include helping the 6 members of the project team with the organization of several international expert workshops, the maintenance of the project website, project publicity and the preparation of publications, as well as providing general administrative assistance to the project leader, Prof. Esther Peeren. With globalization primarily considered an urban phenomenon, its impact on rural areas tends to be neglected. RURALIMAGINATIONS focuses on the crucial role played by cultural imaginations in determining what aspects of contemporary globalized rural life do and do not become visible, which, in turn, affects how the rural can be mobilized politically. Using a distinctive humanities approach, the project examines prominent cultural imaginations of the rural in film, television and literature in the UK, US, Netherlands, China and South Africa.
You will assist the project team in the following ways:
- provide administrative support for expert workshops related to the project to be held in the Netherlands and abroad (including communication with partners, speakers and other participants);
- regularly update the project website and social media outlets, and send out newsletters;
- assist team members with the gathering of research materials and the tracking of national/global rural policy discussions;
- assist team members with the preparation of publications (e.g. formatting, adjusting reference systems, compiling bibliographies, making index term lists);
- assist team leader with general administration of the project (including financial management and reporting).
If you are the student-assistant we are looking for, you:
- are a student at the University of Amsterdam until at least the Summer of 2020;
- have experience with organizational and administrative work, as well as strong social skills and the ability to work in a team;
- have excellent professional English writing and speaking skills; knowledge of Dutch is a plus;
- are well-organized and have demonstrable IT and social media skills; experience with website design is a plus;
- have a background or demonstrable interest in globalization studies; literary, cultural or media theory; or rural studies.
For additional information, you may contact:
- Prof. Esther Peeren, project leader
You will be appointed at the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Amsterdam for a period of one year, with the possibility of renewal until Summer 2020. The gross monthly salary will be €1,997 to €2,329 based on 38 hours per week, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities.
The intended starting date of the contract is 1 February 2019.
The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
Your application should include:
- a letter of motivation (max. 1 A4);
- an up-to-date CV including all relevant experience;
- a copy of your BA diploma including grades;
- name and contact details of one referee.
Applications must be sent as 1 pdf attachment via the link below by 25 November 2018.
You will receive notifications by 3 December 2018. We will interview shortlisted candidates iin the week of 10 December 2018. #LI-DNP
No agencies please